Battery Charging Success at Last

 

Trimetric charging at full power

Trimetric charging at full power

I am happy to announce that after several months of dealing with “the mystery of the non functioning charge function“, I have finally solved it.

Short recap: After setting all the equipment up and wiring everything, the inverter/charger would not detect any incoming AC load from the generator.

A couple of days ago, when Erin was gone for the day, I decided to clean up the electrical wiring and finally give a look at this problem. This is a refurbished piece of electronics, mind you, so I thought it might just be a blown fuse or such. Well, after cleaning up all the installation, and it was well needed, I decided to take the beast apart. I can only say I had very mixed emotions when, after an hour or so of poking about, I find some cables coming from the AC input area not connected. This was it! Some dope in an undisclosed Xantrex service center just plum overlooked to plug the frigging thing in. Needless to say, after all the cursing and dirt kicking, I feel like a million bucks.

 

Sloppy charging and venting of batteries

Sloppy charging and venting of batteries

I was having to use a big bulky Sears battery charger. Connecting every time I wanted to charge the bank and worst of all, the thing would only charge at about 50 amps at best. Now I charge at 106 amps making the charging time and intervals much less.

On to the next project…